ABC’s of Successful Goal Setting
Traditionally January is the month for New Year’s Resolutions and often by the time the month has ended, they have been set aside or forgotten. This can create a subtle hit to one’s self-trust and self-esteem and a ripple of self-recrimination. As a coach, a good portion of my work with clients is around setting goals and intentions, and processing the resulting successes and failures along the way. So how does one successfully set and achieve goals?
Here are some steps and tips to follow:
- Be clear about why the goal matters and how you will feel when you achieve it.
- Create a clear vision of the outcome.
- These first two steps are the most important. Not only do you want to make sure you’re setting this goal for the right reasons, with these steps you create the foundation, clarity and energy for the steps that follow.
- Stay connected to the emotion and enthusiasm behind the goal to fuel your actions.
- Fully commit and align your heart, mind and will behind the goal.
– Being half-hearted about your goal, allowing negative self-talk, and a lack of willpower will all undermine your success.
- Make it specific, measurable, and positively stated.
– For example: I weigh XX pounds by March 1st.
- Outline a plan for success and break it down into achievable steps.
- Be accountable. Write your goals down, keep them in front of you on a daily basis, and track your progress.
- Make it fun and celebrate the successes.
- Gather the learning objectively when you fail and either recommit or change your goal based on your learning.
Each success will strengthen your self-trust and self-esteem. Perspective and a positive mind set are important. If you fail it doesn’t mean you are a failure. Any time you fail it is an opportunity for learning and growth. And sometimes who you become in the process of going for the goal is more important than achieving it.
Having a coach who will hold you accountable, champion you, help you through the challenges, and point you to the learning on the journey can make all the difference. Contact me for a complimentary sample session to kick off your goal setting journey to success.